What is DOuble red cell (ALYX) donation?
The ALYX machine collects two units of red blood cells instead of one during a single donation.This type of donation allows a donor to double the impact of their gift of life.
How often can i donate?
ALYX donors only give once every 112 days (16 weeks) instead of the normal 56 days.
What is the process like?
Using a special machine similar to an Apheresis (platelet) donation, the ALYX machine collects two units of red blood cells instead of one. Platelets and plasma are returned to the donor by a single-use disposable kit and the donor receives a saline solution for hydration. Requirements for this type of donation are similar to those for a whole blood donation, with a slightly higher requirement for height and weight.
HOw long does this take?
A typical ALYX donation takes approximately 45 minutes.
- High school students who are at least 16 or 17 years of age require one-time parental consent: consent form-English, consent form-Español and weigh at least 110 pounds. Other donors must be at least 18 years old.
- When checked by our donor care specialist, your iron level must be at least 12.5 g/dL for females and 13.0 g/dL for males.
- Your blood pressure cannot be higher than 180/100 mm Hg or lower than 90/50 mm Hg. If you are currently taking medication you are eligible to donate as long as your blood pressure meets these requirements.
- Your body temperature must be between 96.4 and 100.0 degrees F.
- Your pulse rate must be no less than 50 beats per minute and no more than 100 beats per minute.
- You will be asked a series of questions to ensure that you are eligible to donate.
- Certain medications and medical conditions will prevent you from donating, at least temporarily. Call 800-962-0628 to inquire about your specific medical conditions or medications, or view the Medication Deferral List.