There are several types of donations you can make through Blood Assurance which will make an impact in your community.
- Whole Blood Donations – the most common form of donating, whole blood is collected from the donor and taken to the laboratory, where it is separated into specific components, such as red blood cells, platelets and plasma. Eligible to donate every 56 days (8 weeks). Total time from registration to completion – approximately 30 minutes.
- Apheresis Donation– this method of donating allows the blood donor to give specific components of blood, most commonly platelets. Platelets are commonly used by patients undergoing chemotherapy treatments. A single-use kit collects the specific component from the donor and returns the remaining components to the donor, along with a saline solution for hydration. Although the process is longer than donating via whole blood, the needle is smaller. By collecting one full platelet unit from an individual donor, it reduces the exposure to multiple donors, which is critical for patients who have a suppressed immune system due to illness. Eligible to donate every 7 days, up to 24 times per year. Total time from registration to completion – approximately 45 to 90 minutes.
- Double Red Cell (ALYX) Donation – similar to the apheresis method, ALYX allows the donor to give a specific blood component. In this case, the ALYX machine collects two units of red blood cells instead of one. Platelets and plasma are returned to the donor by a single-use disposable kit and the donor receives a saline solution for hydration. Eligible to donate every 112 days (16 weeks). Total time from registration to completion – approximately 40 to 45 minutes.
- Medical Donations - we provide several therapeutic and medical phlebotomies to assist area healthcare facilities and their patients.
- Be the Match National Marrow Donor Program – by providing a sample cheek swab and completing the proper paperwork, donors can join the Be The Match Registry® at any Blood Assurance location. The Registry matches potential donors patients in need of life-saving marrow and stem cell transplants.
- Blood Assurance Foundation - you can also support our educational outreach such as the Crystal Green Memorial Scholarship and Excellence in Education through the Blood Assurance Foundation.